Supervised School Suspension
Emerson High School
- School administrators may use the SSS program for a 7th through 12th grade student who is suspended from school for a period of 1-5 days. Only administrators have authority to refer a student to SSS. SSS placement should be reserved and space availability confirmed through SSS supervisor via email or phone prior to student’s arrival at SSS. Completed referral form should be signed and emailed or faxed before student is expected to arrive at SSS. Forms are available on Outlook.
- Students who attend SSS are not marked absent, but are counted present for ADA purposes. Attendance Clerks and referring administrator will be notified of SSS attendance.
- Referring administrator designates adult (usually parent/guardian) to bring referred student in to Emerson reception desk at 8am, and get student from SSS at 2pm. Designated adults must come in to building with arriving students and for departing students. If a student is not signed out by 2:05pm, and designated adult cannot be contacted, SSS staff will contact referring administrator to arrange transportation for student. Student does not act as own designated adult.
- Each student arriving at SSS is expected to bring assignments to occupy the full day, along with texts and materials required to complete assignments. Students at SSS are expected to work on school assignments from the time of arrival at SSS until all assignments are completed, then to quietly read books until designated adult comes to SSS room to pick student up. Computer/internet access not available to students in SSS.
- Referring administrators from D91 may request student work to be returned through Turtle. Otherwise, all assignment/text/supplies transport will be responsibility of referred student.
- Students may not leave SSS room without designated responsible adult, so they should either bring a lunch or order meals (see SSS referral form) before arrival. Students must bring correct change when needed to pay for meals.
- Supervisor will accompany SSS students to restroom a maximum of 2 times per day. Students will not be allowed to leave SSS unaccompanied. No nurse is assigned to Emerson. Students requiring medical attention or more frequent restroom use should not be referred to SSS.
- If two or more students are referred for fighting or other cooperative misbehavior, the referring administrator should consider assigning said students to SSS for different days.
- Students assigned one-on-one aides or school companions are expected to be accompanied by said aide or companion while in SSS.
- Referring administrator, parent, and student should read, understand, and agree to SSS Classroom Rules prior to assignment to SSS. Variance from posted SSS guidelines must be approved in advance by Robin Busch, Trina Caudle, or George Boland.