Welcome to Math in FocusTM: The Singapore Approach, the world-class math curriculum from Singapore adapted for U.S. classrooms based on updated math standards. Math in Focus addresses topics in greater depth at each grade.
This year, your second grader will focus on:
- building problem-solving skills and strategies
- counting, comparing, and writing numbers to 1,000
- adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing using bar models
- measuring lenght, mass, and volume in metric units
- telling time
- recognizing bills and coins
- classifying lines and surfaces
You can help your child build confidence as well as communication skills in mathematics by practicing newly acquired skills at home by taking advantage of opportunities to use math in everyday situations. Allow your child's math class-work or homework to guide you in determining the appropriate level of challenge.
While at the supermarket or at home,
- have your child to read food labels to compare weight
- help your hcild measure small objects using a centimeter ruler
- estimate and weigh packaged foods items
- estimate, compare and measure heights of furniture
- comare and exchange different amounts of money
- practice telling time and finding elasped time
On car trips encourage your child to:
- make 3-digit numbers and order them from least to greatest
- mentally add or subtract 3-digit numbers and multiples of ten
Contact your child's teacher if you have any questions about the program or your child's progress.